Thorburn to Royce & Other CD39 Candidates: Let's Debate!
Democrat Andy Thorburn Calls on Republican Incumbent Ed Royce and Other Primary Challengers to Join Him in 10 Debates
ORANGE COUNTY, CA — Former classroom teacher, workers' rights advocate and Democratic businessman Andy Thorburn issued the following statement today, challenging Republican Incumbent Ed Royce and the other Democratic primary contenders to participate in a series of 10 debates before the upcoming open primary election in June of 2018.
Upon issuing the challenge to Republican incumbent Royce and the Democratic field of candidates, former classroom teacher Andy Thorburn stated:
“This is an historic election, one that will have an enormous impact on not just the 39th District, but our entire country for years to come. Voters in our district are more engaged than ever and eager for a dialogue surrounding many of the key issues facing Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, and our nation.
"That's why I urge Ed Royce and the other Democratic challengers to join me in a series of 10 debates prior to the June Primary Election in 2018. The people of the 39th District are some of the most thoughtful, well-informed voters in the United States. They deserve to know where their candidates stand on issues facing our community and our country.
"I believe that our differing world views present an opportunity for the voters to listen to and learn from each of us on the debate stage, about our varying visions for the future. The more honest, thoughtful, in-depth, public discussion about the future of the 39th District and the nation, the better. If you believe that voters have a right to meet the candidates and get informed about our positions on the issues, then you will accept this invitation, and join me in a series of 10 debates.”
The Thorburn for Congress campaign is available to immediately begin joint negotiations for debate logistics in terms of dates, times and locations. The campaign proposes ten debates focusing on the following topics:
1) Healthcare, (ACA, Single Payer, & Future of Medicare and Social Security)
2) Jobs and the Economy- (Tax Reform, Raising Wages, Unions, Automation, the Temp Economy, and Job Creation)
3) Education (K-12, Higher Education, and Career Based Training)
4) The Environment (Climate Change and Green Energy)
5) Equality and Reproductive Healthcare Rights (Planned Parenthood, Combatting Sexual Harassment in the Workplace, Equal Pay for Equal Work)
6) Immigration Reform (Pathway to Citizenship, Security, ICE and Private Detention Facilities)
7) Gun Violence (Gun Control and Mental Health, particularly in context of mass shootings)
8) Good Government (Campaign Finance Reform, Electoral Reform, Making Government Work More for the People)
9) Criminal Justice and Policing Reform (Private Prisons, Nonviolent Offenders, Recidivism, School to Prison Pipeline)
10) International Affairs Ranging from Trade to Global Conflict and Diplomacy
This announcement follows Thorburn's recent game-changing endorsement from the California Nurses Association/National Nurses United, who referenced Andy's "life experiences [that] demonstrate an unrelenting commitment to ensuring healthcare for all, and bettering the lives of working families."
Recently, Thorburn's campaign has been picking up steam, securing endorsements from Actor/Environmentalist Ed Begley Jr., State Assembly Member and former California Democratic Party statewide Secretary Reggie Jones-Sawyer, as well as the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36 and the United Steelworkers of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
Andy Thorburn is a Democrat, a former classroom teacher, an advocate for working people, a businessman, and a nonprofit founder. He has worked as an educator, union organizer, and entrepreneur, and at each phase in his life, he has prioritized the principle that any organization - a country or a company - gets the best results if it treats its people fairly, with dignity, and holds itself to a standard of excellence.
Thorburn has been married to his wife Karen, for 36 years, and they have two children together, both of which they adopted as infants. Andy and Karen live in Orange County, where they have lived for the past 18 years.
# # #